Thursday, May 30, 2013

"I just do NOT want children"



You’re pregnant?!

It’s not too long ago I became a mom for the first time. The “Really!?” moment shared by most of my friends and family has long since passed as I am now 7 months into this gig. Their surprise came from the fact that I decided to have a baby after ages of refusing parenthood as an option for me. For as long as I have known, I have been the, “I don’t want kids--EVVERRR” chick and that was just how it was. Every time I would express this to anyone of course, I would get a lot of, “Pfft…you’ll change your mind when you meet THE ONE.” I believed that was the cheesiest thing I had ever heard in my life and would quickly dismiss that possibility.
I think a lot of the opposition to becoming a mom was soured from the fact that I was the youngest of 2 older sisters, sisters that had become moms themselves when I was fairly young. One of my sisters decided she would become a mom at 16 years old even. Well, I doubt she decided this, but she sure became the Leah, Dawn and Janelle of her day. On top of this my mother became a nanny...oh did I mention, in my house?! I spent many of my teen afternoons hiding in my bedroom from the cries and smells of babies, all of that looked horrible and depressing from where I stood.


This is how bad it got…

I remember solidifying my own pact to never have children one day when I attended the Ringling Bros. Circus. I am a big animal lover and I attended just to see the animals (don’t judge me). Yes, later I discovered this circus is a hotbed of animal abuse and as a side note, I will never attend this again, but that’s neither here nor there. So-- I am in the audience and I see a family of 5. I look at my best friend and ask her, “How the &%*# do you afford to take a family to things like this?! Yes, I have a potty mouth (don’t judge me). Probably another reason I didn’t want kids. We both loosely calculated by the time they sat in their seats, with their concessions and souvenirs just for each kid to throw under their bed the minute they got home, it would have been something I would never pay in my life.

They say never say never for a reason….

Soon after that time, I was home in bed watching The Tyra Banks Show (I miss that show man). The topic was about couples who had decided they NEVER wanted children. My PEOPLE! I paid close attention as I heard each woman on the panel speak my own thoughts. One lady even wanted elected surgery to have her tubes tied. She mentioned that all the doctors she sought for this basically told her to leave their offices with that nonsense because anyone her age should never elect to take away their own right to procreate. I was offended for her, why not?!


Ohmigawd I am the cliché they said I would become…

I’ll spare you the how we met details, but I became the cheese ball I declared I wouldn’t. I met my soul mate, I wanted to have his baby, and the fever broke I guess, because all of the sudden I was ready to be a mom. We were blessed because it was way easier than I thought to become pregnant. Upon finding out, my husband was happy, but I was in complete shock, and I was even in denial. Once the disbelief that I was actually preggo left, I was so excited that this was happening. It had all come full circle and I was pregnant, I was going to have a baby, I couldn’t wait to buy her popcorn and overpriced light up souvenirs that she would throw under her bed and the rest is history…there you go, a cliché to follow my own cliché.

7 months later 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE being a mom! Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to be the Von trapp family and have a slew of them, but I have found my daughter to be the best thing this earth has to offer. I often get sad thinking I was so dead set against ever having her at one point in time. Deciding to become a mom was the best choice I ever have made, next to marrying her dad of course. This is me, cheese ball all the way and the happiest I ever could be!

No comments:

Post a Comment